So.

Greetings and welcome to SARs, Shojoworld's Anime Reviews. I'm a big fan of acronyms, and this one is really fun because if you google it there was an illness called "Severe Acute Respirtatory Syndrome." The singular version has some fun ones two, like "Specific Absobtion Rate" are just a few things that come up. I won't ruin them all for you.

Anyway, my name's Meroko and I run a site dedicated to shojo. This little blog is where I like to rant about whatever I'm watching, wheter this actually helps you pick something to watch?

That'd be a nice bonus.

Feedback? Comment or email shojoworld@sbcglobal.net. I'll reply, because I don't have a life.

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Kimi Ni Todoke, episodes 1-3

I come to you again with another trio of episodes to cover, and yet another positive review. I feel like I need to watch an anime I won't like just to balance things out! No, but seriously, I've been seeing alot of good lately, although I do have an older series I'll discuss later.

Anyway...
I could tell from a couple minutes in this series would hit home with me. The series focuses on Sawako, who is ostracized from her classmates because they are all afraid of her, for really no reason at all, as these things often are. They think she resembles someone from "The Ring." As someone who has been teased and ridiculed most of my life, I immdiatley felt for her. And her situation seemed even worse, as she appears to have no friends at all. But through all this, she keeps an amazingly kind attitude that astounds me.

I also really like the male lead, Kazehaya who I feel is drawn the best, and the only one to treat Sawako like SOMEONE. He is nervous around her, has legitimite respect her, and is helping people in the class view her differently. Another rival for him is beggining to emerge, but I really hope he stays focused on Sawako, she would have no idea how to fight for him, since she doesn't even understand his feelings for her, or even her feelings herself? Maybe this will push her to reliazing? It will be interesting to see how this develops

.A moment I particurally liked was when Sawako sees a puppy on the side of the road, sitting in a box in the rain. Even though it barks at her constantly, she takes her own umbrella and sets it over the dog to shield it from the rain, then walks to school wet. It's a nice parallel to the way she treats everyone, and how they treat her back.
It's hard to find a fault in this touching series, but if there is I would say the art. I really didn't like it at first, but then it's almost like it's on purpose, and there's these small beautiful moments, like when Sawako smiles, that are so jarring from the rest it's that much more nice to look at. '
9/10, simply because it was one of the ONLY anime to make me feel like crying the very first episode.



No comments:

Post a Comment